Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

I feel like Easter is a perfect time to reflect on God’s graciousness. So often, as I prepare for this baby, I think about all of the “things” that need to be accomplished in the next twenty weeks. We need to buy a crib, stroller, changing table, etc. for the nursery. I need to read books on how to be a good mother and how to breastfeed. I'll go to classes on how to give birth. We will baby-proof our home, and the list just goes on and on.

I am reminded today, Easter Sunday, that God loves me and takes care of me. God is huge. He created the universe and keeps the world in motion. Yet he loves me and has the hairs on my head numbered. Jesus was fully man and knows what it is like to be tempted by worldly things. I can call upon Jesus and ask him to give me the strength not to be consumed by everything that American culture tells me to worry about. Our nursery does not have to be “perfect” by the world’s standards. Everything does not have to match. I do not need the best and newest stroller. The only thing that matters is that Jesus died and rose from the dead. Now his spirit lives in Austin and in me, and hopefully one day in our child. If we are fortunate enough to have a child who knows the Lord some day, all the rest is just details.

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.” Luke 12:27-31

No comments:

Post a Comment