Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Seasons


About a year ago, when I was still newly pregnant with Denver, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until I get a baby bump. Then everyone will know I'm pregnant, and I'll feel justified for having all these crummy feelings." A few short months later, I got what I asked for:


At about that time, I thought, "I can't wait until this baby is born. My feet and back ache, my belly itches, and I'd like to enjoy a glass of wine over dinner with my husband."

Then Denver was born.


I had a beautiful son, and I quickly began to think, "I can't wait until this child sleeps through the night. I can't wait until my body gets used to breastfeeeding...this hurts! I can't wait until my body recovers from birth so that I can exercise again."

Well, I got all those wishes.

And now I admit that I'm thinking, "I can't wait until Denver gets through this spit-up phase... I am constantly covered in spit-up. I can't wait until he's old enough to take a sippy-cup, because he WON'T take a bottle, so I give him EVERY feeding, which greatly limits my freedom."

Then I hear a quiet voice whisper, "Caitlin, cherish these moments. You won't always be covered in spit-up. You won't always nurse your son every time he's hungry. This is a season, just like pregnancy was a season, just like having a newborn was a season."

So tonight, when Denver starts crying for his mommy to hold him (because he has gotten quite picky about who is holding him past 8pm), I will choose to cherish that time with my son. I will choose joy in this season because I know that this is just a short season, and before I know it, my sweet boy will be in another season that brings its own challenges, but also its own tender moments. Like this one...

and this one...



6 comments:

  1. Awww, Caitlin - you two are so cute together. As a woman who has often thought "I can't wait to get married & have kids & a family..." I know what you mean about letting the current season slip by unenjoyed while waiting for something better. Thanks for the reminder!! He's so handsome & you are a really great mom, your smiles say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been thinking about these things lately too. everyone reassures us that the newborn no sleeping through the night phase is going to go by so quickly, which is good, but i also want to be sure to enjoy as much as i can from that time because i know i'll look back and miss them being so small and new and perfectly innocent. glad you're enjoying those moments with denver. love the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful to have a friend like you! Thanks for sharing your perspective- it's a good reminder to cherish whatever season we may be in, and that God doesn't let us get complacent, but keeps on challenging us for our good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!! Have you talked to the talent agent yet? We need to market that face. It's worth millions. You should stop posting it online for free. People will pay to see it.

    2 more weeks til I get to see you baby boy! And you will have a play date with 7 crazy children, so get ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Denver is just so cute! I can't wait to see him in real life again...
    2) Thank you for your lovely thoughts on my blog. I might try to quote you in my research! I agree that the blogging world is an AMAZING way for moms to stay at home with their children and build community! That's why I'm prepping myself for it in advance.... hopefully a FEW years in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo is absolutely priceless!

    ReplyDelete